I adore eating out and lingering with friends over a meal. As a social eater, I try everything.
But at home, I keep a classical, Chinese herbal medicine-inspired kitchen. The regimen is low-carb, gluten-free, wheat-free, sugar-free & dairy-free. It’s also heavy on veggies and grains.
Here’s what my food world looks like
HEALTH: I’m a huge fan of Chinese herbal medicine and other holistic marvels. I am also a former member of the New York State Acupuncture Board.
- Jeffrey Yuen’s classical approach to acupuncture & Chinese herbs
- A Chinese herbal medicine approach to food and nutrition
- A cheap, holistic way to get rid of allergies — food list attached
- My favorite “cookbook” isn’t a cookbook at all. It’s actually a fascinating recipe for life and understanding the human body:
- Between Heaven and Earth is the clearest and most inspiring book I’ve ever read about acupuncture, herbs and the Five Element Theory of Chinese medicine. As part of their presentation, the authors grapple with “you-are-what-you-eat-issues” in a powerful way. And yes, theories here form the core of my approach to maintaining good health.
One of my paintings! It hangs in the house of my first collector. You can see where he keeps it in his house. Click here to see the photo at the end of one of my blog posts.
Making food memories
RECIPES: Fast, cheap, easy – a mix of nutritious and guilty pleasures :)
- Connecting with quinoa
- Fast and easy miso soup
- The best sesame noodles ever
- Idiot-proof Asian-style salmon
- Healthy, easy gluten- sugar-free salad dressing
- Must-have kitchen item: Bragg Amino Acids (soy sauce substitute)
- Delicious recipe for radish greens (with some of my drawings too)
- Sshhh, I also do junk food: Orange cake: fast, easy, cheap & sublime
DINING OUT: For me, restaurants = theater.
- How and where to eat Korean food
- How and where to eat Vietnamese food
- Chinese vegetarian in Chinatown
- The Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai
COOKING CLASSES: What I’ve learned as a student.
- Vegan dessert porn
- Making gluten-free pasta with my daughter
- Chinese dumplings with Kian Lam Kho at the ICE
MORE EXPERIENCES: And, food = community.
- Photos from three weeks of cooking & eating in India
- Dumpling Night at MoCA
- Video of Dumpling Night at MoCA
- Feeding the homeless on Thanksgiving 2009