Welcome to bettymingliu.com. :)
I’m the recovering daughter of Chinese, control freak immigrant parents — and I’m happy at last! My journey has finally taken me to a life I really want. I’m a life coach, professor, blogger and single working mom.
My specialties are helping others with writing & communication skills, and issues surrounding diversity, millennials, the immigrant experience and creativity.
Everything I’ve ever done uniquely prepared me for what I do now.
- I occasionally blog for The Huffington Post. There were the many earlier years as a big city, full-time journalist at The New York Daily News, and a more recent gig as a digital journalist for Newsday.
- I’m currently an adjunct assistant professor teaching different specialties at three places: food writing at NYU, creative non-fiction at The New School, and speech communications at Westchester Community College.
- As a volunteer, I’ve served on the boards of Museum of Chinese in America and New York State’s Board of Acupuncture.
- See my LinkedIn profile for my outstanding teaching awards and other career stuff.
Honey, I have done a lot of work on myself. Decades of therapy helped me through a 17-year marriage that ended in divorce. Today, I am the proud, single mom of an incredible, 20-something daughter.
You also might know me from my 2011 blog rant against tiger moms, which went viral: Parents Like Amy Chua are the reason Asian Americans like me are in therapy.
But writing saved my life. You can read about how that happened in my three-part life journey blog posts.
Everything I do these days is about one thing: storytelling.
For me, personal storytelling is the ability to talk and write about ourselves. Knowing how to do this reflects confidence and creativity. This is true for both writers and people who don’t write much at all. Our words and experiences matter!
Start your own storytelling experience by downloading my free, nine-page workbook, “3 mistakes that wrecked my life.” Once you subscribe to bettymingliu.com, I’ll email it to you.
(Note: I will also safeguard your address and not share it with anyone. In addition to the free PDF, I’ll send you weekly emails alerting you to my latest blog post. You can unsubscribe at any time.)
my blog as a resource for you
My goal is to offer you useful information. I have posts about:
- How to improve your writing and work skills
- How to improve your basic journalism skills
- Being Asian American, Chinese American
- Holistic health
- Healthy food recipes
- My travel experiences
- Relationships, from parents to romance
- Random stuff about art and life
short bios about me
And, for a brief version of my bio:
Betty Ming Liu is a blogger, journalist and professor. She teaches creative and non-fiction writing, journalism and communications. She lives in the New York City suburbs with her two cats. Subscribe to her blog, at http://bettymingliu.com.
Or, for an even shorter bio:
Betty Ming Liu is an NYU adjunct professor and blogger.
thanks for visiting!