Building my brand as the The Good Asian

July 31, 2012 · 16 comments

in Inspiration, Journalism how-to's, Making art, Money issues

Post image for Building my brand as the The Good Asian

It’s done! Welcome to my redesigned blog. Thanks to your help, I’ve got a new logo and theme blurb that might work. I’m also on a mission to self-publish a book under my new imprint, TheGoodAsian.

If you check out the navigation menu at the top of this page, next to the “blog” tab is a new tab for “TheGoodAsian.com.” Of course, you know there’s a joke here because I’ve spent most of my life not feeling like a good Asian! But it’s time to broaden out the definitions here. And to do that, there’s a lot for us to talk about.

For those of you not in the mood to click over to my new tab, this is what I’ve posted on it:

Aha! Now that I’ve got your attention….

Welcome to my new publishing imprint, TheGoodAsian. I’m planning to drop my first book in early 2013. Meantime, please join me here in rocking a discussion on what it means for us all to be The Good Asian.

This is a deeply personal topic because my insane and insanely strict Chinese immigrant parents raised me to believe in a specific form of “good” and “bad.”
The things they wanted me to do were “good.” My attempts to go my own way, following my own heart, were “bad.” It’s a school of parenting that crosses all cultures, races and creeds. Which means you don’t need to be racially Asian to understand the pressures in being TheGoodAsian! Of course, with perceptions being the way they are, “Asian” has connotations that are very appealing. After all, “Asian” is associated these days with high-achieving, highly-functional, highly educated people who believe in family, make good money and are poised politically and socio-economically to take over the world. But what about those of us who break the stereotypes on one level or another? Aren’t we the true good Asians? So just as hip hop and salsa culture have been embraced by people of all races and cultures, I’m here raising the flag for the crossover appeal of a broader definition. You don’t have to be Asian in this new community. You just have to see the good side of being “bad,” a concept layered with meaning for us all. If you’d like to share your thoughts on this topic on any level — personal experiences, reactions or book ideas that would inspire us all — please comment away!All  rule-breakers, dream seekers, artists, entrepreneurs and students of life…come home to Momma. We are one people.

Well…what do you think? And are the logo banner and logo blurb better? I really appreciate all the feedback on the earlier post about building the Betty Ming Liu brand. You’re all INCREDIBLY INSIGHTFUL and very, very honest.

Based on your reactions, I retooled the blurb to remove the emphasis on being Chinese and a slave to my parents. Taking your suggestions, I also added exactly what I’m about, my identifiers: single mom, journalist, artist, etc.

Even though most of liked the new photo, I’ve swapped it out for this doodled image now in its place. More fun, personal and playful, perhaps? As for the things I’m holding in my many arms…they might not be much easier to decipher than the items I held in the photo below.  But I think it’s okay. You get the idea that I’m busy.  :)

So the version of the banner below, which I posted on July 17, is now cyberspace history. Gone:

I don’t know what this sharper focus will bring to this blog or to my life. But things are gonna change. Thank you all for supporting me. This is us, taking chances and growing together. I’m excited!

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Update on March 10, 2013: Oh my goodness, what a difference a year makes. Just FYI, I am bailing on the idea of identifying myself as Good Asian/Bad Asian. Totally not interested anymore in defining myself by Asian boundaries. Ooops, did I really write that? Haha. Yes. Done. Still writing and branding and heading towards something new. Not sure what it is but please keep up with my new posts because at some point, I will figure it out. Thanks for visiting this old post! xoxoxoxo.

Skye July 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

WOW! What a post! Bring on the book, Momma!

I hope the book includes the best of the elements in your blog plus more. Please dish lots of wit and advice, some recipes, and some art/pjotography!! Make it part memoir, part how-to (like a How-To Tuesday) and part news story, etc…

CAN’T WAIT!

Vivien O-S July 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

Spirit of reinvention, thy name is Betty! LOVE IT!
I do have to say, however, that I personally prefer “recovering Asian daughter” (or “recovering Chinese daughter”) to recovering daughter. I disagree with the notion that it’s limiting; I think it creates a strong instant “picture” that (especially in the wake of the Tiger Mom business) makes your brand all the more vivid and “ka-POW!” Yes: it’s true that in your charming pic/drawing, you are unmistakably Asian. And everybody knows that Asians do NOT have a monopoly on the types of “ish” from which you are “recovering.” And scads of us non-Asians relate, no matter how you characterize things.
I for one dig the directness and up-front-ness – because those qualities are so YOU – of unabashedly, unapologetically attaching your culture to your tag-line/description. To not do so feels to me like you are… tip-toeing, a tad PC, a tad coy. But clearly I’m a minority. So what else is new!
I absolutely adore the sketch. One minor suggestions, just my taste: draw yourself a bit of a neck, then attach the “head-shot.” It will be cuter/perkier.
Here’s to the upcoming book, and the journey ahead! xoxo

Tiffany July 31, 2012 at 11:41 am

Betty, I love the new look! Your blog is an inspiration to me.

jaimie July 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

yessss, love the new embodying-it-all doodled image! xj

betty ming liu July 31, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Skye, thanks for the enthusiasm and great ideas. This is one big experiment. Fingers crossed. I’m excited about the idea of having control of my own project! Self-publishing is no longer a schlocky concept. I promise you, this book will look good. :)

Viv, I am so torn. I always value you opinion. And I could see where “Chinese daughter” could work; if you did “Jewish daughter,” I understand how that clearly evokes all kinds of tantalizing images. Might go there yet! And I will see if I can squeeze in a neck for myself. It takes up too much room in such a little space, which is why we left it out.

Jamie, thanks, always value your opinion. I’m relieved the doodle is going over okay. :)

betty ming liu July 31, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Whoops, skipped over you before, Tiffany. I’m so happy that you find my blog useful. That’s all a blogger lives for — along with comments and getting people to subscribe. :)

On another note, I’m thinking that Viv might really have a point. Maybe I should add back “Chinese” as an identifier for “daughter?” After all, it’s not heavy handed, not like what I had before with that reference to “my strict Chinese immigrant parents.” Just one little word: Chinese. Should I add it? And do you all think I need to have a neck in my logo photo/doodle? :)

Patty July 31, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Love it! So proud of you, Betty. It takes a lot of guts. You go girl!

betty ming liu July 31, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Patty, it’s do or die. Just gotta try this. I am inspired by an online self-publishing course that I’m taking now with TheBookDesigner.com, run by blogger Joel Friedlander. He’s gonna design for me and I can’t wait to work with him. Thanks for the encouragement!

Brian August 1, 2012 at 3:20 am

Branding? Makes me wonder if you are trying to sell something. Are you? To whom?
It makes me happy to see that you have found happiness. You are no longer subject to “cliff-doubt” (ie you can’t go up and you can’t go down). I have enjoyed reading your blog. It has given me something to do, which is good because I am no longer working.
Well, Good luck!

betty ming liu August 1, 2012 at 7:15 am

Brian, the post explains the book that I’m working on. Thanks for following my blog. :)

mary August 1, 2012 at 11:24 am

You go girl! Congratulations!!!!!!

betty ming liu August 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Mary, we can all do this. Forget the literary agents and sending our manuscripts out to make the rounds. E-books and e-publishing are the way to go. :)

And by the way, hope you’ll all bear with me. At this moment, my beautiful nav menu has hit a glitch. It’s looking a little messed up and will take a while to fix. Oh well!

Walter August 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Hi Betty !!
I love the redesign of your blog and am looking forward to reading your book!! I am so excited hugs Betty!!!!

betty ming liu August 2, 2012 at 4:24 am

Thank you, Walter! It’s so gratifying to have you as a reader who supports my progress. :)

Vivien O-S August 2, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I LOVE “CHINESE DAUGHTER!!”
Also because the term “Asian”… my gawd, you are the LAST person I have to tell just how many square miles/cultures/languages and dialects/ cuisines/historical and geopolitical references fit under that umbrella! So in your more sharply focused opener, you’ve now given the reader an instant snapshot of the world you grew up in, where your people hail from. Now we have a more vivid picture of what you are recovering from/growing from/broadening from…. like we all CAN, regardless of where we came from…

betty ming liu August 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

Viv, thanks. I think it works too. Might as well own the cultural context for my grief! And thank you for caring enough to stick your neck out to say something. This blog is a work in progress — and will probably change a million times as we go forward. So let’s see how adding “Chinese” feels!